How many times was the Ka’bah constructed?
In his book Tareekh Makkah, ‘Allamah Jalaluddin Suyuti رَحْمَةُ اللهِ تَعَالٰی عَلَيْه stated that the Holy Ka’bah was built 10 times:
- First, the angels built it on the earth in the exact straightness of the Bayt-ul-Ma’moor.
- Thereafter, it was built by Sayyiduna Aadam
عَـلَيْـهِ الـصَّلٰوةُ وَالـسَّلَام.
- Then the sons of Sayyiduna Aadam built it.
- It was then constructed by Sayyiduna Ibraheem and his beloved son Sayyiduna Isma’eel عَـلَيْـهِ الـصَّلٰوةُ وَالـسَّلَام. This has been mentioned in the Holy Quran.
- It was also constructed by a nation called ‘Amaliqah’.
- Thereafter, the tribe Jurhum got it constructed.
- It was also constructed by an ancient ancestor of the Quraysh – Qusay Bin Kilaab.
- It was also constructed by the Quraysh. The Holy Nabi
صَلَّی اللّٰہُ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ وَاٰلِہٖ وَسَلَّم also participated in the construction, carrying stones on his blessed shoulder along with the Quraysh.
- During his caliphate, Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah Bin Zubayr رَضِىَ اللهُ تَعَالٰی عَـنْهُ had it constructed as per the plan approved by the Holy Nabi صَلَّی اللّٰہُ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ وَاٰلِہٖ وَسَلَّم. That is, he had the area of the Hateem included in the Holy Ka’bah with its door touching the surface of the ground. One door towards the east and the other one towards the west were made.
- Appointed by ‘Abdul Malik Bin Marwaan Umavi, Hajjaj Bin Yusuf Saqafi who was a tyrant1 had Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah Bin Zubayr رَضِىَ اللهُ تَعَالٰی عَـنْهُ martyred. Hajjaj also had the Ka’bah demolished which had been built by Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah Bin Zubayr رَضِىَ اللهُ تَعَالٰی عَـنْهُ. He then got the Ka’bah reconstructed as per the plan drawn up in the pre-Islamic era of ignorance. This Ka’bah exists even today.
In the biography book authored by ‘Allamah Halbi رَحْمَةُ اللهِ تَعَالٰی عَلَيْه, he stated that the Ka’bah was reconstructed only three times:
- Sayyiduna Ibraheem Khaleelullah عَـلَيْـهِ الـصَّلٰوةُ وَالـسَّلَام constructed it.
- The Quraysh constructed it in the pre-Islamic era of ignorance. There was a gap of two thousand seven hundred and thirty five years between both of the two constructions.
- Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah Bin Zubayr رَضِىَ اللهُ تَعَالٰی عَـنْهُ also constructed it eighty two years after the construction made by the Quraysh.
Regarding the narrations of the constructions made by the angels and by the sons of Sayyiduna Aadam, ‘Allamah Halbi رَحْمَةُ اللهِ تَعَالٰی عَلَيْه commented that these narrations were not authentic. As for other constructions, he stated that those were not new constructions; they were only renovations.2 (وَاللهُ تَعَالٰی اَعلَم)
(Footnote, Bukhari, vol. 1, pp. 215)
i.e. a cruel ruler
Footnote, Sahih Bukhari, Kitab-ul-Manasik, vol. 1, pp. 215